Research (*) among those more successful companies has shown that there are four interrelated areas of capabilities and enablers that are crucial:
- Contextualised Strategy and Operational Plan: A capacity to embed strategies and plans into the key present and future drivers of the business and commercial context, including framing and re-framing of initiatives and clearly describing desired outcomes as the environment changes.
- Creative Business Solutions: A capacity to encounter problems in a way that leverages the issue as an opportunity for improved competitiveness or performance.
- Stakeholder Management: A capacity to pro-actively involve internal and external stakeholders to initiatives in a way that secures support and collaboration, harnessing the success of the initiative.
- Leadership Development and Learning: A capacity to self-invent as a leader and create an organisation of ‘learners’ rather than ‘knowers’.
* Inspired by ‘Leadership Agility’, Bill Joiner and Stephen Josephs, 2007